Sunday, June 21, 2009

The simplest things...

I classify myself as a person who is very forgettable. Who is...just someone you pass on your way to your ultimate destination in life...someone who brushes up against you and yet leaves only a vague impression. Someone who is an invisble support system who will never be seen or heard.

I have always believed that there had to be a reason for everything. And yet, as cynical as I am, I still want to believe in magic. Some sort...any sort.

Today I turned on my computer like any other day and remembered to check my e-mail...amidst the multitudes of spam and updates for things I don't even remember subscribing to I saw a note upon which I was tagged.

You see, I still remember the first day at TARC too. I was very lonely and afraid. Not homesick but scared of a future I didn't really want. I sat in a crowded hall where everybody seemed to know everybody else (or so I told myself) and everybody spoke in a language that should have been my mother tongue but was as alien to me as...well...as gibberish. My roommate was a cold fish. Literally. With a standoffish aura so strong it could send an ox running for the hills. Plus she wasn't inclined to be all that helpful, senior or no.

I still remember when I thanked God for the girls beside and in front of me. Thank you for speaking English and for being so nice. It's always funny how people say I am a very social person because I really don't think I am. But the girl in front of me changed so many things. She invited me to have dinner with her. A real first for me because no one, up to that point, had asked me out without an ulterior motive.

I was used to having "friends" that used me. I chose to be blind about it. But this girl was different; so self-assured and even though I barely knew her...I felt safe with her. Like she really wanted to spend time with me...not for what I could give but for what I was.

I haven't been an angel either, for all the years we've known each other. But I was always glad that no matter what problems we were facing, this girl was always honest. Brutal, sometimes...but always honest. And always there.

Then after amzing times at TARC where I really had the best time of my life, we went to UTAR. It wasn't easy but we stuck out the first trial of Uni life together...problems with friends...with lecturers....with other students... and years later when it was all finally over, I was glad to have you and all my close friends.

It wasn't easy getting to where we were, but I was very touched when you obviously considered me a very important person in your life.

Someone once said to me, "How can you consider yourself best friends if you don't know everything about each other or even spend time together?"

Back then I would have agreed. Now all I can say is, being best friends is not about how much time we spend together or how much we tell each other. It's about being there for each other. To help and to accept that person no matter the flaws or the problems because no one is perfect. I know you'll be there for me because even though we barely speak/chat or see each other if I needed you, you'd come running and so would I.

And it feels wonderful to know that someone is grateful for your existence. And I am very thankful for that. I am very glad for the first day we met and you made being far away from everything I know bearable and fun. Thank you so much for being there for me and for accepting who and what I am.

Most of all, thank you for making me feel less invisible. It means so much to me...more than I can say. I love you too and one day when we are old, we can gather the gang together and marvel at how we made it.

Because we will make it. Girl (and red clog) power!! *hugz*

No comments:

Post a Comment